Thursday, October 10, 2013

Colour in the Making



I have just received delivery of Colour in the Making: From Old Wisdom to New Brilliance, a book published by Black Dog, in which I have an essay on colour technology in the nineteenth century. And I can say without bias that the book is stunning. This is the first time I have seen what else it contains, and it is a gorgeous compendium of information about pigments, colour theory, and colour technology and use in visual art from medieval painting to printing and photography. There are also essays on medieval paints by Mark Clarke and on digital colour mixing by Carinna Parraman. This book is perhaps rather too weighty to be a genuine coffee-table volume, but is a feast for the eyes, and anyone with even a passing interest in colour should get it. I will put my essay up on my website soon.

No comments: