Saturday, November 17, 2012

Pseudohistory of science

I have just seen that my article for Aeon, the new online “magazine of ideas and culture”, has been live for some time. This magazine seems a very interesting venture; I hope it thrives. My article changed rather little in editing and is freely available, so I’ll just give the link. All that was lost was some examples at the beginning of scientists being rude about other disciplines: Richard Dawkins suggesting that theology is not an academic discipline at all, and Stephen Hawking saying that philosophy is dead (never have I seen such profundity being attributed to a boy poking his tongue out).

1 comment:

Allen Esterson said...

Philip: Do you know Alberto A. Martinez's 2011 book Science Secrets: The Truth about Darwin's Finches, Einstein's Wife, and Other Myths (University of Pittsburg Press)? It has fourteen chapters dealing with the kinds of things you write about in your article. Unfortunately it seems to have had very little publicity. Any chance of you reviewing it?